The research focus of the Funk group is in the area of high-energy astrophysics. In particular we are
- Developing instrumentation for ground-based instruments such as H.E.S.S., SWGO and CTA
- Investigating high-energy environments in the Universe using gamma rays and other messengers
- Performing astro-quantum optics experiments such as intensity interferometry with arrays of optical telescopes
- Using high-power lasers (NIF, PHELIX) to study in the laboratory astrophysical processes relevant for high-energy astrophysics
- Transferring techniques from astroparticle physics to other areas such as medical physics or non-destructive testing
We are embedded in international collaborations for instruments such as the Fermi-LAT (Fermi Large Area Telescope) onboard NASA’s Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope satellite, and the Cherenkov-Telescopes H.E.S.S. (High Energy Stereoscopic System) and CTA (Cherenkov Telescope Array).